Wednesday, January 13, 2021

My Top 5 News Sources [#1]

 #1 - https://www.nytimes.com/

    The New York Times is where I go to really follow up on news and stories I hear from elsewhere, say there is this long Twitter thread about the crisis in Yemen and ways to help, I go and read up on the story on sites like The New York Times to get a better feel of the story. I also love them for statistics and number based facts. They did a great job covering all of the COVID-19 numbers and I was basically checking them everyday to see the updates they had on that.

#2 - https://www.spiegel.de/

    I do like having as many perspectives as possible when it comes to my news and this German news site does just that. I have taken German for four years of my life and this site was an amazing resource, not only for news, but also for German language practice. The translators are not always one hundred percent accurate so it really cause me to dig deep into the story as well as the language. I have found it insane that the front page of this website is often full of American drama and stories, rather than German ones. If you want to check it out, but don't speak German, I suggest hit translate with the idea in mind every word doesn't mean exactly what it was translated to. 

#3 - the radio

    I really don't know how I am supposed to link to the radio, but if you want to listen go start a car and join a station. I mainly listen to the radio on a variety of stations while I drive, so I don't have a favorite one, but the radio is really where I can consume the most mundane to the most out there news stories. I find it convenient to get news stories while driving as well, since you are focused on the road, the news stations are allowed to fill up the back part of your mind and make you more aware of the world around you.

#4 - https://twitter.com/

    I want to start off by saying, Twitter should never be the end all, be all, of the news you get. Never. Ever. It used to be that way for me, but that was my first mistake. I mainly use Twitter now as a quick tool to see what the world is up to and from that I search the articles in my more trusted sources. All news sources tend to be bias that is the way of humankind, but Twitter can get even more dangerous due to confirmation bias and Twitter showing you news you like to see, rather than the entire picture. Be careful when using Twitter as a news site, because for me it is more of a quick portal off of social media and into the world of news websites. Sometimes you can get lost in internet memes and as many problems as Twitter has, it always without fail, gets me to check up on the world around me.


#5 - https://www.instagram.com/jameelajamilofficial/

    Back to social media platforms, for how I get my news, but instead of a more general feel of the app, I narrow in on certain influencers to follow them for news. I never expected, when following an actress from my favorite show (The Good Place) to see stories about feminism and stories for racial equality in my feed, but I really enjoy her take on things. She tends to post in her stories about her take on current events. She even runs a podcast called I Weigh, where she talks to so many different kinds of people about their experiences in the world and the problems they face now that are often overlooked by major news outlets. It is not only here I follow, but I also follow a wide variety of people to get really personal in depth opinions of all sorts of people. I feel that social media is overlooked a lot of the times for all the crap that goes on there in terms of news, but if you really look for it, it can be a real useful tool of being more globally minded.  



No comments:

Post a Comment